Monday, March 10, 2008

Winter shoot: Day 03: C's Studio

Ah, shooting in a nice controlled WARM environment with three of my favorite people in the world. What better way to spend a winter Monday in Regina, Saskatchewan?

Today it is all dream scene stuff. While drifting in sleep Tom repeatedly visits this workbench in his mind, finding things a little different each time. Andrew did a great job of lighting and Kristine dropped by between classes to work her magic on the workbench.

terrific 'vintage' photos of Tom and his family by Kevin Dowler

Don was awesome, as always, but I got into a little directing anyway. And Raul as Assistant Director just quietly somehow made it all work, the way he's done for the whole shoot.

"OK, Don, so this is like, a photograph. Just act like you're holding a photograph and, you know, like, looking at a picture of something that you're holding in your hand."

It's great to watch it all unfold on the monitor. This is a tiny little screen; next time we shoot HD it would be great to have a huge 36 inch monitor! But this little guy was nice and portable, and VERY co-operative, even out in that painfully cold weather we were shooting in yesterday. Thanks, Kalyn and the NMSL lab!

I'm actually teaching a university class as a sessional this term, and had to take off for three hours at the end of the day to go run my class. When I got back, Don, Raul and Andrew had set up this terrific bedroom set for another dream sequence. Andrew lit it beautifully and it turned out to be a real magical ending to the winter shoot. You'll just have to wait and see the film to find out what we shot on this set, because Raul didn't take any pictures of it (his hands were kind of full).

After we wrapped this shoot it was time to get Andrew on the plane for his red-eye flight back to the Bay Area. This time the visit was too short and I don't want him to go back yet. But he's got lots of other big projects on his plate and can't linger, so it's goodbye again for the time being.

Off to the airport...

Bye, Andrew!

This marks the end of principle photography. It's kind of sad because it means that I am on my own with the project now. Other than a single B-roll shoot sometime during the summer, I am now entering post-production. Over the summer I will be editing the film, as well as creating animations for some of the sequences. I am hoping to get some help with the visual effects from students and alumni from Ex'pression, and will be looking for help with the score and the post audio.

Things will fall into place but once this term ends I think I will need a few days to recover before I really dig into post production.

So until next time...sisu!!!

1 comment:

Gerald Saul said...

I was just checking out your Sisu website, it looks great.